Friday, July 24, 2009

Preparing to Homeschool!

Welcome to our homeschooling blog! This is my first year homeschooling my 13 year old son and I am both nervous & excited! I have just finished loosely planning our year. Well planning the year for the subjects I have on hand, that is. The subjects I don't have on hand, I just ordered this afternoon... I am such a procrastinator! Planning our year has gotten me all excited... I absolutely can not wait to start our homeschooling journey!

What (8th grade) curriculum are you using, you may ask. Well, let me share...

Bible/Christian Worldview: The Summit Ministries, Lightbearers
Math: Math-u-see, Epsilon
History: Alpha Omega, History & Geography
Science: Bob Jones University, Earth Science
English/Grammar: Easy Grammar Plus
Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000, Book 8
Creative Writing: Christian Liberty Press, The Exciting World of Creative Writing
Literature: My first thought was to allow Austin to check books out from the library & write a report but then someone suggested to use Progeny Press, which looks absolutely amazing but a little steep in my humble opinion. Well, I happened to find this at my library that I thought we could try... http://www.amazon.com/Literature-Guide-Bridge-Terabithia-Grades/dp/0590065696. If this works, I thought we could see if the library has anything else similar we could use on other novels, and the best thing is: it's FREE!

6 comments:

  1. Here's hoping that you have a wonderful first year with your son! We use Abeka for most of our core subjects and I throw in a lot of extras on top of that. It just all depends on what we are learning about at the time. My oldest daughter read "Bridge to Terabithia" and did a book report on it in her 6th grade year and she loved it! It is a great book. We then watched the movie when it came out and she still preferred the book. I hope that your son enjoys it also. It is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Deciding what to do for preschool as a newbie was hard enough for me. I couldn't imagine doing it for an 8th grader, but to my untrained mine, this looks great.

    Manda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks great! I hope you and Austin both enjoy your first year of homeschooling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda,
    I really appreciated your memorial to "Chris".
    I didn't know you had named your unborn child!
    I thank the Lord each day for you and Mike and pray that your grief will be short.

    Love,
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete